It is not news to anyone that the cost for dental and medical work has become increasingly prohibitive. For this reason, patients in North America are seeking alternatives to receive the medical attention they need and deserve. In the dental world, patients must face the harsh reality of skipping dental work altogether, opting for lower quality options or seeking treatment elsewhere. Dental tourism is a phenomenon in which patients fly to other countries to visit well-equipped clinics and receive the dental treatment they need at a fraction of a cost compared to equivalent treatment at home. Oftentimes, this treatment is complemented with a vacation. If any of this sounds relatable, here is what you need to do.
- Step 1: Choose the country you’d like to visit. Find out basic history and geography of the country. Make sure it is a safe country to visit and try to find out opinions from other people’s experiences.
- Step 2: Look for reputable clinics within this country. Find out where they are located, patient reviews, if they have English-speaking staff and approximate prices for your treatment. It is very helpful to provide x-rays and/or pictures of your recommended treatment at home so that they are able to know your case and give a quote for equivalent treatment. They should also be able to give an approximate turnaround time so you can plan your trip.
- Step 3: Look for flights. It is different to fly to Central America than to fly to Eastern Europe in time and money. Look for different date options within the turnaround timeframe the clinic provided. Make sure to double check with them for availability before booking your flights. If you have to make more than two visits, take into consideration you will have to purchase two round trips at some point. Also consider you will need a valid passport to travel overseas.
- Step 4: Look for lodging options. Dental tourism clinics are generally able to provide recommendations and facilitate these arrangements. Airbnbs are also an option these days if you’d like a wider price range. Some countries offer affordable hotel rates and there might be also hostel options. Also ask for transportation from the airport and for your appointments. Most dental tourism clinics are able to help in these arrangements or provide transportation themselves.
- Step 5: There will be days in which you might be free from dental appointments. Search for possible tours or day trips to take advantage of your trip. Each country has its own beauty. If you are more into urban settings, look for museums, plazas, restaurants or architecture that might be unique or interesting to visit. Some countries offer diverse nature settings. Beaches, volcanoes, rivers, lakes, rainforests might be within a few hours’ drive. If you plan to stay for the weekend, you might have enough time to visit more remote areas.
Traveling to another country to receive dental work can definitely be a way to save money or at least to give greater value to your money. Costa Rica is one of the top-visited countries for dental tourism due to its high professionalism, modern technology and beautiful surroundings. It is also accessible in direct and relatively short flights. There are also so many places to visit in Costa Rica, that there will always be something new to see.
Costa Rica Dental Team is a clinic that receives patients from all around the world. We have more than 10 years’ experience restoring smiles on patients who desperately needed dental work. Also, our onsite dental lab provides competitive turnaround times and an incredible 10-year warranty. Feel free to contact us to find out how we can help you cover your dental needs.