Are you considering travelling to get dental treatment and wonder what dentistry is like in Costa Rica?
Some people hold the misguided idea that the medical field in Costa Rica is primitive and unsafe. However, dentists in the Unites States and dentists in Costa Rica share many similarities in terms of education, professional standards and technologies. If you are thinking of visiting Costa Rica for dental work and wonder if it is safe, here are some more details to consider:
- Both American and Costa Rican dentists typically undergo rigorous education and training. In the United States, dentists must complete a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) or Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree, which involves several years of undergraduate education followed by four years of dental school to put these in practice. Costa Rican dentists also go through a similar process, typically completing a six-year program to earn their dental degree. They also must complete a certain amount of supervised practice hours and community service before they can successfully graduate the university.
- American dentists are required to pass national and state dental board exams to obtain their license to practice dentistry. This ensures that they meet the professional standards and legal requirements specific to the United States. Costa Rican dentists are regulated by the Costa Rican College of Dental Surgeons (Colegio de Cirujanos Dentistas de Costa Rica) and must meet specific licensing and certification requirements. In addition, the Costa Rican College of Dental Surgeons is a public institution that can verify if the dentist you plan to visit is an active member. Active members are offered yearly continuous education to keep their practices up to date.
- Dental care in the United States tends to be more expensive than in Costa Rica due to factors such as higher labor costs. For this reason, many people from the United States and other countries seek dental care in Costa Rica. Dental procedures in Costa Rica can be significantly cheaper, even when they are performed under the same circumstances.
- In the United States, English is the primary language, and most American dentists and dental staff communicate in English. In Costa Rica, Spanish is the official language, however, most Costa Ricans have a notion of English and are able to communicate well. There are dental offices in tourist areas have fully bilingual English-speaking staff to accommodate international patients.
- Dental technology and facilities can vary widely in both countries. In the United States, you can find state-of-the-art dental clinics and advanced technologies in many areas. The same applies in Costa Rica. In here, facilities may vary by location, with urban centers and popular tourist destinations generally having more modern facilities.
In brief, in terms of professionalism, education, and safety dentists in America and in Costa Rica do not vary too much. It is necessary to do good research in advance in case you plan to travel for dental work. Located in Curridabat, San Jose, the Costa Rica Dental Team is one of the best dental clinics in San Jose. We count on an onsite, state-of-the-art dental lab that allows us to offer quicker turnaround times and world-class quality in our work. Our staff is fully bilingual and very welcoming, professional, and experienced. Truly, few dentists can undertake the complexity of our cases in such a short time. Want to learn more? Contact us now to find out about our dental office.