A smile speaks more than words. It indicates warmth, friendship, love and security. It is one of the first things people notice about you, and it can say a lot about you too. A healthy smile shows a healthy body and mind. Since we know how important it is to have a healthy smile, here are some tips to help you achieve and maintain it.
- Never go to bed without brushing your teeth. It involves little effort and goes a long way. Take your time with the night brush in order to remove all food particles accumulated during the day. Heading to bed with a clean mouth will go a long way in cavity prevention.
- Floss at least once a day. A toothbrush is designed to remove plaque and food particles in the greatest degree possible, but flossing will get you where the toothbrush can’t. Be sure to push gently into the gums to remove any food particles and avoid gum disease. Don’t worry if you bleed a little. The cleaner your teeth and gums are the less bleeding you will experience when flossing. If flossing is too much of a hassle for you altogether, you can also try an oral irrigator.
- If smiling makes you self-conscious, consider investing in your teeth. This will boost your self-confidence and do wonders for your mental health. Being able to smile broadly and openly will help you live joyful moments without undue restraints.
- Do not skip your checkup with your dentist. These checkups are important to catch small problems before becoming big ones. Visiting your dentist twice a year can save you thousands of dollars by addressing issues as soon as they start.
- Do not smoke. It is not news that smoking can cause many short- and long-term health problems, and with your teeth this is no exception. Smoking (and chewing) tobacco will stain your teeth (sometimes severely) and make you prone to cavities and gum disease. It also retards any healing process taking place in your mouth.
- Limit your intake of drinks that stain your teeth. These include coffee, tea, sodas and wine. White tea, light-colored sodas and white wine also stain your teeth. This is due to acids they contain which open the pores of your enamel and allow any dyes to stain the surface. Some ways to minimize this is to drink through a straw or to rinse with sips of water after finishing the drink.
- Eat healthy. Sugar-loaded foods and starches promote a haven-like environment for bacteria in your mouth which causes a number of dental health problems like cavities, bad breath and gum disease. On the contrary, maintaining a healthy and well-balanced diet will help you achieve a healthy body, strong bones and a positive mindset. There are many diseases that affect your teeth directly, like diabetes, osteoporosis, and high blood pressure, all of which are directly related to your eating habits.
A healthy smile can be truly life-changing. It will help you live your life at its fullest and enjoy every moment. We hope these tips can help you achieve and maintain a healthy, bright, beautiful smile. Being able to smile without restraints is totally worth the effort. If you feel something is hindering you from the smile you have always wanted be sure to visit your dentist. We are the Costa Rica Dental Team, a dental office located in San José, Costa Rica. Our goal is to offer an alternative to the rising costs of dental attention in the United States and Canada. If costs at home for a beautiful smile are prohibitive for you, contact us and we will discuss your options.